ideas for compiler project

Dylan Thurston
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 23:38:23 -0500

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 03:38:59PM +0100, Bjorn Lisper wrote:
> I think MATLAB's matrix language provides about the right level of
> abstraction for a high-level matrix language. You can for instance write
> things like
> Y =3D inv(A)*B
> to assign to Y the solution of Ax =3D B. ...

Just a comment on a long post...  I am personally found of MetaFont's
approach, where you write

 Ax =3D B

to find the solution to Ax =3D B.  When working with transformations and
such, being able to write all your equations "forwards" makes it much
easier to keep everything straight; plus, if you have several equations
for a variable, you don't have to figure out how to gather them
together.  Can anyone see a way to implement something like this in
Haskell?  Or is it better to make a small interpreted language?

	Dylan Thurston

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see