Compiler problem or dumb error?
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 19:30:41 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Jay Cox wrote:

> If checkWid is never invoked, then possibly it is never forced to begin
> with, which I think means the bug is elsewhere in your code (or
> elsewhere).
Which turns out to be the case, although I haven't pinned it down
completely--please see my follow-up post on the same subject.

> btw, your original map function could possibly be better written as a
> zipWith as in..
> zipWith (\w s -> checkWid ShowList w s) widNodes [0..]
> zipWith is mentioned in the Prelude and is a fairly widely used
> higher-order function.

Neater than what I have, but not quite as obvious as documentation to me
(since I have not frequently used zipWith). I will probably replace my
code with your suggested code when I remove the scaffolding (read
crutches) from my half-built program. Thanks for the hint.

Murray Gross