functional dependencies

Iavor S. Diatchki diatchki@cse.ogi.edu
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 11:52:37 -0800

hello,

there seems to be a difference between the way superclasses are handled in
GHC and Hugs, and it would be nice if one of the choices was selected
(i am not sure what other implementations do).  here is what i mean:

class C a b | a -> b
class C a b => D a

vs.

class C a b | a -> b
class C a b => D a b

Hugs accepts both of those, while GHC insists on the second.  the first
example is a little shorter and one might argue that if we know "a" we also
know "b", because of the functional depency, so it is not really a parameter.
on the other hand, i would expect writing "b" in the type signatures of any
of the methods to refer to the particular "b" determined by the "a", rather
than it becomeing universally quantified, and perhaps this is more explicit
in the second form.

bye
iavor