AW: slide: useful function?

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:52:01 +1100

G'day all.

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 08:26:06AM +0100, Johannes Waldmann wrote:

> well I love design patterns, it's just that in Haskell-land
> they are called higher-order functions, or polymorphic functions, etc.

Can I safely translate that as "We use design patterns but we don't
like the name?"

In a different language, you use different design patterns.  Just as
iterator-based patterns are next to useless in Haskell (where we have
lazy streams), patterns based on CPS are next to useless in a
language with state and non-local return constructions.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage