OT: haskell, .net, microsoft and vs

Fergus Henderson fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:10:36 +1000

On 06-Aug-2002, Hal Daume III <hdaume@ISI.EDU> wrote:
> I know MS has been touting .net as cross language and cross platform and I
> know that at least in many of their talks they mention languages like SML,
> Haskell, OCaml, Mercury, etc. and being developed for .net.  I have a
> vague idea of how the progress is going on these.
>
> What I'm more intersted in right now is this: they have an *excellent*
> development environment (Visual Studio) and have had it for years.  But,
> as far as I know, it is not configurable in the sense that I really
> couldn't use it to develop applications in any of the languages listed
> above -- it supports, C/++/#, ASP, and visual basic, as far as I know.
>
> Does anyone know if either it already does, or if MS plans to support
> other more esoteric languages in the development environment...

We have done some work towards supporting Mercury in Visual Studio with
VSIP (the Visual Studio Integration Program).  However, we have not
yet been able to reach agreement with Microsoft about licensing terms,
and so for the time being we have suspended work on the project until
we can reach such agreement.  Negotiations, which began in April 2001,
are still continuing...