OT: haskell, .net, microsoft and vs

Andrew Kennedy akenn@microsoft.com
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 04:34:34 -0700

Andre Santos wrote, regarding the Visual Studio Integration Programme
and SML.NET:

Yes - Claudio Russo did the work.

I've done a little probing through University Relations in Cambridge.=20
Apparently for academics the restrictive licensing=20
terms and costs of the Visual Studio Integration Program will=20
be dropped shortly. Here's what Van Eden of UniRel told me:

1) The licenses will be brokered by MSR Unirel *not* by Summit. =20
This means we will raise the contract, approve it, sign it, etc. =20

2) There will be no formal support. Support for normal licensees is=20
provided by Summit.  If an academic needs support, we (MSR UniRel)=20
will have the option to obtain a commercial VSIP agreement for that=20
academic, and pay $10k for the support that provides.  Summit would=20
provide the support.

[Andrew: though of course those of us at MSR Cambridge with VSIP
experience could answer queries on an informal basis.]

3) Usage reporting has been dropped.=20

4) The "tear the seal" license is replaced by a "click-through" one=20
meaning tools can be distributed electronically.

5) Sharing code between "like licensees" will be permitted, similar=20
to the sharing permitted in the MSR Source License for XP, CE, etc.

6) MSR UniRel will run a training class for this later in the year.

7) Interested academics should contact their unirel person. If they=20
don't know who that is, mail msrure@microsoft.com (for Europe) or=20
kurtme@microsoft.com (for the US).=20

8) I expect it will take a month or two for these changes to be=20
completed. If there is a urgent request, we might be able to accelerate=20
it a bit. =20

Basically, it will be a free license, with no support, that should work=20
fine for typical academics not interested in commercializing their work.

Hope this helps,
  Andrew.