UTF-8 library

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak@knm.org.pl
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 08:36:05 +0000 (UTC)

09 Aug 2002 10:17:21 +0200, Sven Moritz Hallberg <pesco@gmx.de> pisze:

> I argue _strongly_ against associating some sort of locale state with
> handles.
>
> 1) In agreement with Ashley's statements, file IO should use octets,
> because that's what's in a file.

So it would imply two types raw Handles for binary data and wrapped
text Handles for strings. You don't want to force users to explicitly
perform the conversion over and over I hope? Wrappers would look as
IO now.

But I don't see much point in separating those Handles. And it would
be more efficient if conversion could be done internally on the C side
(locale-dependent encoding functions are available from C) coupled with
Handle buffers, rather than going through a pure Haskell interface in
the middle.

--
  __("<      Marcin Kowalczyk
  \__/     qrczak@knm.org.pl