Text in Haskell: a second proposal

Ashley Yakeley ashley@semantic.org
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 02:18:05 -0700

At 2002-08-09 01:19, Sven Moritz Hallberg wrote:

>> Whether or not the old Char-based ones should be deprecated, or whatever,
>> I don't know.
>
>I think any notion of treating the _raw_ contents of a file as Chars
>must go, because it is simply incorrect.

Right.

Certainly we need to come up with _correct_ Word8-based file functions,
and separately, text-encoding functions. After that we need to consider
what is to be done with the existing "expedient" (and conceptually ugly)
Char-based file functions. Should they be deprecated, or should we fix
them with a particular encoding scheme such as UTF-8 or ISO 8859-1, or
what? What about newline handling? etc.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA