UTF-8 library

anatoli anatoli@yahoo.com
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 09:26:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- Axel Simon <A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk> wrote:
> Sure it is necessary to explicitly state what kind of conversion you want
> when you talk to your C library. So IMHO the only question that really
> remains is whether readFile, withCString and all other standard I/O
> function should assume UTF-8 by default or the current locale. I opt for
> the latter.

Dependence on the current locale is EXTREMELY inconvenient.

Imagine that you're writing a Web browser. Your program should
be able to read from many octet streams (=connections) each of which
can use its own encoding. How would you switch locales in this
situation?

Having a locale associated with each individual stream is much more
convenient. Incidentally, this is what C++ does. Presumably the C++
library designers have learned from mistakes of their predecessors :)

--
a.