UTF-8 library

Alastair Reid alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
07 Aug 2002 22:49:11 +0100

George Russell <ger@tzi.de> writes:
> Look, we seem to spend a vast amount of time on this list discussing
> Unicode and internationalisation, but nothing actually gets done.
> May I suggest that either (a) we drop it and leave things to take
> their course, or (b) we don't drop it, but set up a proper working
> party and mailing list, to come up with a standard?

I think a proper working group is called for.  Various individuals on
other groups have made suggestions and had some influence but they're
usually trying to persuade people who don't much care that their
beautiful design should be cluttered by something they don't care
about.

> Unfortunately, as we have seen, this interacts with FFI, but that
> can't be helped.

I think the interaction is fairly small: the ffi is mostly concerned
with C and C is mostly not concerned with internationalization.  Where
I see big changes is in libraries (network, filesystem, date, etc.)
(which might happen to be implemented in C) which have
internationalization issues.

--
Alastair Reid                 alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Reid Consulting (UK) Limited  http://www.reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk/alastair/