Incoherence

Jeffrey R Lewis jeff@galois.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:33:17 -0700

John Hughes wrote:

> What we need is different binding syntax for monomorphic and polymorphic
> bindings. Roll on := and = ...

I agree absolutely that we need such a distinction.  Although it's worth clarifying a point.  The monomorphism restriction doesn't exclude polymorphism, just overloading, e.g. I can bind `x = []' with no problem.  So is your proposal to have := bind non-overloaded (and non-implicitly parameterized terms), or do you really mean that it will only bind monomorphic terms? (thus `x := []' would be problematic, unless there's a type sig).

--Jeff