Haskell 98 - Standard Prelude - Floating Class

Jon Fairbairn Jon.Fairbairn@cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:36:01 +0100

> On Tuesday 16 October 2001 07:29, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> > [...]
> > The whole idea of letting you omit method definitions for methods wit=
> > no default and having calls to such methods be run-time errors is IMH=
> > exceedingly odd in a supposedly strongly typed language, and IMHO oug=
ht
> > to be reconsidered in the next major revision of Haskell.
> =

> This is exactly what I think.

I agree too, but being able to omit method definitions is
sometimes useful -- would it be possible to make calls to
those methods a /static/ error? I suspect this would be hard
to do.

-- =

J=F3n Fairbairn                                 Jon.Fairbairn@cl.cam.ac.u=
31 Chalmers Road                                         jf@cl.cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB1 3SZ            +44 1223 570179 (after 14:00 only, please!)