Strange error in show for datatype

Thu, 4 Oct 2001 00:36:55 -0700

| So, obviously, the next version of Haskell should have a type system=20
| with subtyping, don't you agree? :-)=20

It's always delightful to find that some awkward fumbling has
been Done Properly by someone else earlier.  My claim was that

	forall a. Show a =3D> T

could be implemented by passing a bottom dictionary for Show.  I didn't
say
this, but the obvious thing to do is to fix 'a' to be some vacuous type
Empty,
and arrange that Empty is an instance of every class, with a bottom
dictionary.  And you're telling us that the subtyping folk worked this
out
yonks ago.  Excellent!  (Reference, for this particular point?)

In a system with subtyping this would work even if T contained a free,
as you say.  But even in a system *without* subtyping, if 'a' is not
free in T,
we can safely remove the 'forall a' and fix a=3DEmpty.  (A calling =