penalty for proper tail recursion

Fergus Henderson
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:38:59 +1100

On 05-Nov-2001, Jan-Willem Maessen <> wrote:
> 5) In GCC, shadow stacks can be efficient to pull off---compile without a
>    frame pointer, and declare a register global to hold the shadow
>    stack pointer.  Net change in number of available registers: none.

That's not really a fair comparison, since you can compile without a frame
pointer even if you don't use shadow stacks.  If you declare a register
global, then you really are reducing the number of available registers.

Fergus Henderson <>  |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: <>  |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.