Transmitting parameters

Lennart Augustsson lennart@augustsson.net
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:49:11 +0100 (MET)

> >> By value.
> >
> >Yes, though one might equally say that they are passed by
> >reference, since in
> >

> Oh, yeah, they're passed by thunk. I forgot about the laziness.

Well, Haskell does not really specify which mechanism to use.  Most
implementations use call-by-need (a variation of the old call-by-name).
But any mechanism that is faithful to the semantics would, in principle,
be all right.  So call-by-name is all right.  As is spawning a thread
for the parameter (I don't know the name of this mechanism), as in pH.

	-- Lennart