newbie

Eduardo Ochs edrx@inx.com.br
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 06:54:27 -0300 (BRT)

Frank Atanassow wrote:
> G Murali wrote (on 09-03-01 00:43 +0000):
> > I'm new to this monads stuff.. can you tell me what it is simply ?
> > an example would be highly appreciated.. i want it is very very
> > simple terms please..
>
> A monad on category C is a monoid in the category of endofunctors on C.
>
> Is that simple enough? ;)
>
> No? Then see "Using Monads" at http://haskell.org/bookshelf/
>
> (Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

Uh-oh. I'm a junior categorist and toposopher and I confess that all
my few attempts to understand what Haskell's monads have to do with
the categorical notion of a monad have failed more or less miserably.
Can someone point me to a relevant paper, or give a quick explanation?

  Thanks in advance, and sorry for the dumb question,

    Eduardo Ochs
      http://angg.twu.net/
      edrx@inx.com.br