adventure game

Ketil Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
30 Jul 2001 10:14:13 +0200

stanley goof <stanley_goof@yahoo.fr> writes:

> I am planning to write a text-adventure game in
> haskell.

Right.

> This is the type of game in which you can execute many
> commands like 'take'(to take an object), 'goto' to
> move from a room to another room, 'look'(to see the
> objects in a room), 'open'(to open a drawer), ...

I think perhaps Haskell is not ideal for this.  Basically, you're
describing lots of objects, on each of which you can peform certain
actions depending on its type and state.

If this doesn't ring a bell with you, I'll spell it out: Object
Orientation.

:-)

You could of course do it in Haskell, and I'm toying with a simulation
engine in it which isn't entirely different.  I just don't think it's
optimal, in particular if you're looking for a problem to hone your
Haskell skills on.

-kzm