Haskell 98 Report possible errors, part one

Dylan Thurston dpt@math.harvard.edu
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 19:57:54 -0400

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 06:30:30AM -0700, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> | 2.2. Identifiers can use small and large Unicode letters.
> | What about caseless scripts where letters are neither small
> | nor large? The description of module Char says: "For the
> | purposes of Haskell, any alphabetic character which is not
> | lower case is treated as upper case (Unicode actually has
> | three cases: upper, lower and title)". This suggests that the
> | only anomaly is that titlecase letters are considered
> | uppercase. But what is actually specified is that caseless
> | scripts can be used to write constructor names, but not to
> | variable names. I don't know how to solve this.
>
> I am woefully ignorant of Unicode, and I have no idea what to do
> about this one.  I therefore propose to do nothing on the grounds
> that I might easily make matters worse.

In general, the situation with claimed support of Unicode in Haskell
is pretty shaky; probably much more needs to be said in many places.
I will continue to be dubious until some compiler actually provides
reasonable support.

In this case, what about requiring identifiers to start with an upper
or lower case alphabetic character?

--Dylan