What does "Compiled code too complex" error message of Hugs mean?

Jan Kort kort@wins.uva.nl
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:33:33 +0100

Laaser Christian wrote:

> When loading some Haskell files with Hugs, I get the error message "Compiled code too complex". However, the compilation with GHC 4.08.1 succeeds.
> What does this message mean? What can I do about it?

You can grep for that sentence in "hugs98/src", it will point to the
file "machine.c". There you will see it says "if (nextLab>=NUM_FIXUPS) ...".
So grep for "NUM_FIXUPS" it will point to the file "prelude.h". I
think the default value is 400, you should increase it to 1000 or so.
I have it at 10000, but that's probably not necesary in your case
and if you increase constants too much starting up Hugs will become
slower.

  Jan