fixity for (\\)

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 02:10:34 -0800

This proposal makes sense to me, but I'm only supposed to be fixing=20
serious bugs in the Haskell 98 definition, not making unforced changes.
So even though this change would be non-invasive and break no programs
I'm reluctant to adopt it.  Adding those extra parens is no big deal.

Unless there's a lot of support, I propose to make no change (in H98,
that is).

Simon

|=20
|=20
| Hi all,
|=20
| The Haskell report defines the fixity of (\\) to be:
|=20
|   infix 5 \\
|=20
| I propose that it gets the following fixity:
|=20
|   infixl 5 \\
|=20
| This means that one can write:
|=20
|   as \\ bs \\ cs \\ ds
|=20
| Which means:
|=20
|   (((as \\ bs) \\ cs) \\ ds)
|=20
| I think that one less often means the following:
|=20
|   as \\ (bs \\ (cs \\ ds))
|=20
| /Koen.