Specifications of 'any', 'all', 'findIndices'

Mark Tullsen mark.tullsen@yale.edu
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:11:33 -0500

Johannes Waldmann wrote:
> I'd rather write clear code, than worry about efficiency too early.
> Who said this, "premature optimization is the root of all evil".

I've always attributed this to Donald Knuth:

  Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming.

Though I can't confirm it.  I do find this similar statement
in his "Structured Programming with go to Statements"
(Computing Surveys 6 4, Dec 1974):

  ... premature emphasis on efficiency is a big mistake
  which may well be the source of most programming complexity
  and grief.

Note also one of Alan Perlis's epigrams:

  Optimization hinders evolution.

(See http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/perlis-alan/quotes.html)

- Mark Tullsen