O'Haskell OOP Polymorphic Functions

Johan Nordlander nordland@cse.ogi.edu
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:03:31 -0800

Ashley Yakeley wrote:

> How do you do OOP-style polymorphic functions in O'Haskell? My first
> attempt looked something like this:
>
> struct Base
>
> struct Derived < Base =
>      value :: Int
>
> theValue :: Base -> Maybe Int
> theValue x = Just (x.value) -- problem line
> theValue _ = Nothing
>
> In the problem line, x is considered to be of type Base, so x.value
> gives an error.

I'm not sure what OOP-style you're referring to.  This is like trying
to access the "color" field of an ordinary, uncolored "point".  How
would you program your function in Java?

> I tried replacing it with
>
> theValue (x :: Derived) = Just (x.value)
>
> ...but that doesn't work either.

But that's just because O'Haskell doesn't support type annotated
variables in patterns (yet).  Change the type signature of your function

   theValue :: Derived -> Maybe Int

instead, and it should typecheck (it still wouldn't make much sense, though).

However, as a general remark, I'd like to point out that record terms in
O'Haskell don't carry their type with them at run-time.  Like in C++,
the type of a record term is a purely static notion that only exists at
compile time.  Hence it's not possible to define a function that returns
a value that depends on the dynamic type of its argument (a big win when
one wants to enforce information hiding).

The solution is instead to use an ordinary datatype for values that one
would like to scrutinize at run-time by pattern-matching (the FP way),
or to internalize the function in question into the record type itself
(the OOP way).

-- Johan