bootstrapping GHC

William Lee Irwin III wli@holomorphy.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:46:17 -0800

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 04:05:47PM -0800, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> I've recently acquired access to SPARC and PPC Linux boxen. GHC 4.04 is
> presently bootstrapping on the SPARC, and I was wondering if there were
> PPC hc files floating about anywhere, or documentation on how to
> generate them.

I found the mailing list discussion on generating the hc boot files and
unregisterized code after a tip from Michael Weber and will eventually
get around to trying to bootstrap on Linux/PPC.

On the other hand, I'm running into a bit of trouble on the SPARC. It's
actually an UltraSPARC (sparc64). My assumption was that ordinary SPARC
code should just run on it. What's actually happen is illegal instructions
everywhere. The one that seems to stop me dead cold every time is here:

00000000009c4cfc <PrelMain_mainIO_info>:
  9c4cfc:   00 9c 4c f8     bn  10d80dc <_end+0x69bff4>
  9c4d00:   00 00 00 00     unimp  0
  9c4d04:   00 11 00 01     unimp  0x110001

and this is in hsc, which is as far into the bootstrap as I got.

This disassembly looks wrong to me. Perhaps asm mangling is needed; I
had -fno-asm-mangling set because the assembler was barfing on prologue
nonsense. I'll be looking into that, as I'm not very familiar with the
real guts of the compiler, or, for that matter, modern SPARC's.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
--
<Jon_I> 'the Baire category theorem has no connection with category theory'
<Wo^tW> nonsense. *everything* is connected to category theory.