Learning Haskell and FP

George Russell ger@tzi.de
Tue, 02 Jan 2001 15:27:20 +0100

Paul Hudak wrote:

> > Unforunately, the "Gentle Introduction To Haskell" that
> > haskell.org links to is not a very useful introduction.
>
> John and I should probably rename this document, since it really isn't a
> very gentle intro at all.  We should probably also downplay it's
> prominance on the haskell website.  It was written rather quickly many
> years ago, at a time when there was not a single textbook on Haskell.
> So it's probably outlived it's purpose, although I do believe that some
> people still find it useful.
I think Paul is being unduly modest.  I found it very useful when I first learnt
Haskell.  But I did already know ML, so maybe the "Gentle Introduction" would be
harder going for someone who didn't know anything about functional programming.
Nevertheless I think it might be a mistake to downplay it unless there's a better
publicly-available introduction with which you can replace it.

The introduction states quite clearly that
> Our goal is to provide a gentle introduction to Haskell for someone
> who has experience with at least one other language, preferably a
> functional language (even if only an "almost-functional" language
> such as ML or Scheme).
and then goes on to recommend a couple of texts giving more detailed
introductions to functional programming.  I don't think one can ask for more.