Inferring from context declarations

Andreas Rossberg
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:33:17 +0100

Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> Incidentally, this has nothing to do with allowing polymorphic recursion
> on functions in Haskell.  It could be done earlier too, but then it had
> to be encoded using a class and instance declaration.

I would argue that methods are in fact polymorphically recursive
functions. Wasn't this one motivation to allow general polymorphic
recursion in Haskell - that it is in the language anyway?

	- Andreas

Andreas Rossberg,

"Computer games don't affect kids.
 If Pac Man affected us as kids, we would all be running around in
 darkened rooms, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music."