A GUI toolkit looking for a friend

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:56:20 +0000

Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> Nothing's wrong with ambitious systems!  But there's an
> ambition/pragmatism tradeoff.  If there was a consensus about the
> Right Way to build an ambitious (more declarative) system then we
> could all go for it.  But there isn't.  So let the experiments
> flourish, but meanwhile it would be of practical use to many
> people to have a stable, portable (if less sexy) platform on which
> to build applications.
>
> Simon

As a (sometimes quite nervous...) user of the Clean GUI, I assure
all profans who never touched it that

* It is quite ambitious. Oh yes, ambitious it is.
* It is quite sexy, especially for those for whom everything is
  in a sense sexy. But it is inspiring, and has some metallic
  elegance. (For some people Robocop *IS* sexy).
* It is powerful!

===

I began to scratch my head.
Presumably all this business of local and global states is translatable
to Haskell without much disturbances.
But I am not sure whether I could monadise all unique-access objects
(including Picture etc.) without serious troubles. Even in my short
private essays, where I tried to "Haskellize" the Clean I/O, refraining
from using this pseudo-imperative style:
 # object = doSomethingWith object
 # object = andMoreProcessingOf object

and constructing monadic chains, I finally gave up, because my
fingers generated too many bugs. But this is a personal observation,
I am sure that more disciplined people can do it better.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France