Inferring from context declarations

Andreas Rossberg
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:04:36 +0100

George Russell wrote:
> (3) Simon Peyton Jones' comments about dictionary passing are a red herring,
>     since they assume a particular form of compiler.  Various (MLj, MLton)
>     ML compilers already inline out all polymorphism. Some C++ compilers/linkers
>     do it in a rather crude way as well, for templates.  If you can do it,
>     you can forget about dictionary passing.

Such monomorphisation is not possible for Haskell in general, because it
allows polymorphic recursion. As a consequence, the number of
dictionaries constructed for a given program also is potentially

	- Andreas

Andreas Rossberg,

"Computer games don't affect kids.
 If Pac Man affected us as kids, we would all be running around in
 darkened rooms, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music."