Inferring from context declarations

Andreas Rossberg rossberg@ps.uni-sb.de
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:07:00 +0100

George Russell wrote:

> I'm sorry if this is a FAQ, but I'm curious to know why Haskell (or at least, GHC and Hugs)
> doesn't seem able to use contexts on variables at the front of data declarations.

There has been some discussion on contexts on data declarations during
the Haskell 98 standardization process. See:

	http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~rjmh/Haskell/Messages/Display.cgi?id=302

I think this discussion also lead John Hughes to write his paper on
"Restricted Datatypes in Haskell" which is available from his homepage:

	http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~rjmh/

Hope this helps,

	- Andreas

--
Andreas Rossberg, rossberg@ps.uni-sb.de

"Computer games don't affect kids.
 If Pac Man affected us as kids, we would all be running around in
 darkened rooms, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music."