Haskell threads & pipes & UNIX processes

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak@knm.org.pl
15 Feb 2001 18:10:14 GMT

Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:50:41 -0800, Julian Seward (Intl Vendor) <v-julsew@microsoft.com> pisze:

> use the foreign import mechanism to make BZ2_bzopen,
> BZ2_bzwrite and BZ2_bzclose available in your program.

bzlib and zlib wrappers are available in
<http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/qforeign/>
(for ghc >= 4.08 and nhc98 >= 1.02).

zlib can write and read true .gz headers only when working with
files (FILE * in C). The in-memory interface provides raw compressed
contents only. I haven't made wrappers for these FILE * functions
for real .gz files, so these wrappers cannot be used yet to read and
write true .gz files.

bzlib does not have this problem: its in-memory compressed data is
identical to .bz2 file contents.

Both wrappres include functions for lazy compression and decompression
of strings (String -> String).

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak@knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/