binary files in haskell

John Meacham
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:10:14 -0800

There is actually NO way with haskell 98 to portably read and write
binary files. and many libraries which provide this feature are
inherently non portable, (they assume a Haskell Char = C char = byte)
which is not necisarily the case. I wrote up a proposal for a binary
file IO mechanism to be added as a 'blessed addendum' to the standard at
best and as a commonly implmented extension (in hslibs) at least..

my original proposal messages  to the list can be gotten from
although without the messages from others in the list they may
seem out of context.

John Meacham
California Institute of Technology, Alum.