binary files in haskell

John Meacham john@foo.net
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:10:14 -0800

There is actually NO way with haskell 98 to portably read and write
binary files. and many libraries which provide this feature are
inherently non portable, (they assume a Haskell Char = C char = byte)
which is not necisarily the case. I wrote up a proposal for a binary
file IO mechanism to be added as a 'blessed addendum' to the standard at
best and as a commonly implmented extension (in hslibs) at least..

my original proposal messages  to the list can be gotten from
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~john/computer/haskell/
although without the messages from others in the list they may
seem out of context.

John Meacham   http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~john/
California Institute of Technology, Alum.  john@foo.net