GCD

John Meacham john@repetae.net
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 02:17:18 -0800

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 11:06:28AM +0100, Ch. A. Herrmann wrote:
>     Simon> 	gcd x y is the greatest POSITIVE integer that divides
>     Simon> both x and y.
>
>     Simon> I don't think that changes the specification in fact, but
>     Simon> experience has led me to always check these things!
>
> I find it confusing to read a definition which contains redundant
> information. Instead, I'd suggest to add something like:
>
>   "Note: this number is always positive"

yeah. I strongly agree with this wording. precision without confusion is
a really nice feature in specifications. mainly i know that if i were to
read the redundant version I would invariably spend several brain cycles
trying to figure out why it isn't redundant, only to conclude that it
is.
	John

John Meacham - California Institute of Technology, Alum. - john@repetae.net