ANN: ports 0.3.3 "Autumn Sun"

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:30:21 +1000

There is a new version of the Haskell Ports Library
available at

  http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ports/

It now has experiemental support for process management.
You can create a process that gets its stdin from a lazy
string and pumps its stdout and stderr into two ports.  There
are a couple of combinators that facilitate Unix-pipe-like
behaviour and you can wait for the exit code of a subprocess
in a single Haskell thread without blocking all the others.

It's all quite a hackery and still pretty experimental, but
as the subprocess management question did come up a couple
of times recently, I thought I share what I have at the
moment with the rest of you.

Cheers,
Manuel

PS: This requires GHC as it relies on preemptive
    concurrency, exceptions, and the POSIX libs.