2 points about language

Alastair David Reid reid@cs.utah.edu
23 Aug 2001 11:49:43 -0600

> Dear haskellers, I suggest you the two notes on the Haskell
> language:
>
> (1) it is desirable to accommodate such features of Aldor language
> as types as values and dependent types

You should take a look at Lennart Augustsson's Cayenne:

  http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~augustss/cayenne/index.html

Quoting (most of) that web page:

  Cayenne is a simple(?) functional language with a powerful type
  system. The basic types are functions, products, and sums. Functions
  and products use dependent types to gain additional power.

  There are very few building blocks in the language, but a lot of
  "syntactic sugar" to make it more readable.

  There is no separate module language in Cayenne since the dependent
  types allow the normal expression language to be used at the module
  level as well.

  The design of Cayenne has been heavily influenced by Haskell and
  constructive type theory and with some things borrowed from Java.

  The drawback of such a powerful type system is that the type checking
  becomes undecidable.

In the fullness of time, it'd be useful to hear back from you:

  What parts of Cayenne (that Haskell lacks) are useful for your system?
  Which parts are a problem?
  Which parts are of no use for what you're trying to do?

--
Alastair Reid        reid@cs.utah.edu        http://www.cs.utah.edu/~reid/