Minor problem with "Floating" class in Prelude

Dylan Thurston dpt@math.harvard.edu
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 23:17:17 -0400

The 'Floating' class in the standard prelude reads:

> class  (Fractional a) => Floating a  where
>     pi                  :: a
>     exp, log, sqrt      :: a -> a
>     (**), logBase       :: a -> a -> a
>     sin, cos, tan       :: a -> a
>     asin, acos, atan    :: a -> a
>     sinh, cosh, tanh    :: a -> a
>     asinh, acosh, atanh :: a -> a
>
>         -- Minimal complete definition:
>         --      pi, exp, log, sin, cos, sinh, cosh
>         --      asinh, acosh, atanh
>     x ** y           =  exp (log x * y)
>     logBase x y      =  log y / log x
>     sqrt x           =  x ** 0.5
>     tan  x           =  sin  x / cos  x
>     tanh x           =  sinh x / cosh x

Please add asin, acos, and atan to the minimal complete definition list.
[Incidentally, I find these minimal definition lists very useful; I'd
love to see them become more than just comments.]

--Dylan