Revised Haskell Report

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak@knm.org.pl
6 Apr 2001 22:02:37 GMT

Fri, 6 Apr 2001 04:04:34 -0700, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj@microsoft.com> pisze:

> Please take a look at these drafts, and tell me if there are any
> remaining errors.

| * Page 80, Section 6.3.6, Class Monad. Right at the bottom of the
|   page, after "However, for IO, the fail method invokes error." add
|   the clarifying sentence "To raise a user exception in the IO monad,
|   use ioError (see Section 7.3)."

It's not true that for IO fail invokes error. Section 7.3 is correct.

| If any open or semi-closed handle is managing a file for output, no
| new handle can be allocated for that file.

Can a semi-closed handle manage output? Well, perhaps on file opened
in ReadWriteMode. But what does writing do in this case, where the
file position is moving implicitly as the contents are evaluated?

BTW, there is a problem in ghc's sockets, which can't be read and
written at the same time (from different threads). I hope that
1. it will be fixed, 2. it's consistent with Haskell 98.

Now I should read the report again after two years, not only errata :-)

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak@knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/