Union Types for Haskell!?

Bernd Holzmüller holzmueller@ics-ag.de
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:30:17 +0100

Hi Christian,

Your suggestion is of course possible. However, it imposes an overhead
which I would like to avoid. Consider you have a data structure (e.g. an
abstract syntax tree) consisting of nodes belonging to different data
types. The difficulty is to write a function that abstracts from the
traversal of that tree. I.e. try to write a map and a filter function on
such data structures (what's the type of the function argument to
map/filter?). In using a discriminated union type as you propose, one
solution would be to traverse the data structure once and generate for
each node a corresponding "tagged" node (a B becomes an UB B etc.). The
result can then be mapped over or filtered by a function of type A -> A
or A -> [A]. Finally, the result has again to be untagged to get a
structure of the original types. Creating the tagged variant from the
beginning is undesirable because this would lead to less type safety in
the construction and node-specific manipulation of the data structure.
These disadvantages could be avoided when (undiscriminated) union types
were allowed.

Bernd