Imperative Object Destruction

Ashley Yakeley ashley@semantic.org
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 01:17:38 -0800

At 2000-11-13 00:58, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

>| C++ provides a convenient mechanism for cleaning up stuff, the
>| destructor, which is guaranteed to get called when an object
>| passes out
>| of scope (or something).
>
>Haskell doesn't but GHC has an extension (finalisers) that does.
>There's a discussion of the issues in our paper about weak pointers
>and finalisers
>	http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/#weak

I assume you mean finalisers for ordinary Haskell values after they're no
longer referenced. That's actually a separate issue, I'm more interested
in doing finalisation in Haskell's existing monadic imperative model,
something that shouldn't need any runtime extensions.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA