A question about run-time errors when class members are undefined

camarao at dcc.ufmg.br camarao at dcc.ufmg.br
Wed Oct 10 17:36:35 UTC 2018

Hi Carter,

I am not proposing "local scoping". I think local scoping
does not have substantial gains and at least introduces
some difficulties and complexity (I have tried it in system CT).

Even modular scope for instances is not mandatory, as I said.
A general defaulting rule is a remedy, if instance modular scope is not
supported, for changing the ambiguity rule
(I prefer modular instance scoping though).

I don't want to fight for anything. I'd like to contribute
if the Haskell community friendly wishes me to do so in order to
introduce MPTCs in a relatively simple way, without the need of extra
mechanisms, based essentially on changing the ambiguity rule:
I think a type like, say, (F a b, X a) => b is not ambiguous
(F and X being classes with members f:: a->b and x::a, say),
since then overloading of (f x) can be resolved, with a new
ambiguity rule, depending on the context (or type) where (f x) is used.

Kind regards,

Carlos