Quo vadis?

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Tue Oct 9 06:38:37 UTC 2018

On 09/10/2018 00:58, Mario Blažević wrote:
> On 2018-10-07 11:32 PM, Philippa Cowderoy wrote:
>>
>> I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest a candidate with a specific
>> problem, a specific goal and a possible solution to its problem. So,
>> a modest proposal:
>>
>> - Standardise OverloadedStrings as an available-but-disabled feature
>> - Allow default statements for the IsString class without
>> OverloadedStrings, using that type for all string literals
>> - At some future stage, we can use this to migrate away from [Char]
>> as the default string literal type
>> - The Haskell2010 pragma and its successors can be used to ensure
>> code written to standard doesn't suffer bit rot when migration happens
>

> The second bullet point could use some clarification. Would you mind
> commenting on the existing defaulting proposal at
> https://github.com/haskell/rfcs/pull/18 ?

I've been away from the overall process and I'm not in best health right
now, so it'll take a while to catch up but I'll do my best.

The gist (which someone else may have covered) is that it's not
overloading if you have exactly one type of string literals, even if we
let the user say which type it is. I've read enough to see I'll have to
have my thinking cap on while writing much more than that as a useful
comment though, not least because of the interaction with an imported
defaults mechanism that normally needs to work with a sequence of defaults.