A question about run-time errors when class members are undefined

Petr Pudlák petr.mvd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 20:31:40 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

IIRC one of the arguments against having many separate classes is that a
class is not a just set of methods, it's also the relations between them,
such as the important laws between `return` and `>>=`. And then for example
a class with just `return` doesn't give any information what `return x`
means or what should be its properties.

That said, one of really painful points of Haskell is that refactoring a
hierarchy of type-classes means breaking all the code that implements them.
This was also one of the main reasons why reason making Applicative a
superclass of Monad took so long. It'd be much nicer to design type-classes
in such a way that an implementation doesn't have to really care about the
exact hierarchy.

The Go language takes a very simple view on this: A type implements an
interface if all the methods are implemented, without having to explicitly
specify this intent [1]. This looks very nice and clean indeed. But the
drawback is that this further decouples type-classes (interfaces) from
their laws (like monad laws, monoid laws etc.). For example, in Haskell we
could have

class (Return m, Bind m) => Monad m where

without any methods specified. But instances of `Monad` should be only such
types for which `return` and `>>=` satisfy the monad laws. And this would
distinguish them from types that have both `Return` and `Bind` instances,
but don't satisfy the laws.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if there is a good solution for achieving both
these directions.

[1] https://tour.golang.org/methods/10

Cheers,
Petr

čt 4. 10. 2018 v 3:56 odesílatel Anthony Clayden <