Quo vadis?

Henrik Nilsson Henrik.Nilsson at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Oct 5 13:10:26 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 10/05/2018 01:20 PM, Mario Blažević wrote:
>      I hereby propose we formally disband the present Haskell 2020
> committee. Our performance has been so dismal

It has.

And I should apologise in particular: I've just had far less time than
I thought over the past year for a variety of reasons.

> that I feel this is the
> only course of action that gives Haskell 2020 any chance of fruition. A
> new committee could then be formed with some more dedicated membership.

I'm less convinced about that, though. I believe those who signed up
for H2020 actually are people who believe in the value of an updated
standard and has core expertise to make it happen. I can't see how
giving up and forming a new group would speed things up or even
increase the chance of success.

Instead, what about focusing on identifying a couple of things that
absolutely would have to be in H2020 to make a new standard
worthwhile, like multi-parameter type classes, possibly GADTs,
then figure out what else is needed to support that (like what
Anthony Clayden sketched), and with that as a basis, find out
exactly what technical problems, if any, are hindering progress?

If this could be neatly summarized, then we'd actually be in a position
to make some progress.

/Henrik

attachment.

where permitted by law.