Helium II

Anthony Clayden anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz
Fri Nov 30 10:54:28 UTC 2018

On *Thu Nov 29 15:00:19 UTC 2018, Doug McIlroy wrote:*

> >* Frankly after you've filtered out all that, I'd be astonished if you**
have anything left. It seems to be usual practice on Hackage to switch** on
a swag of LANGUAGE pragmas even if this module isn't using them.*

>>* (MPTCs, FlexibleInstances/Contexts in particular.)*

> A depressing remark, which comes close to saying
> there is no true Haskell.

? There wasn't a true Haskell in 1998. Already Hugs (in HugsMode) and
GHC (with glasgow-extns) had MPTCs, FlexibleInstances/Contexts,
FunDeps, UndecidableInstances. Overlapping instances was optional
extra.

> It's one reason I hang mostly with Hugs.

Interesting. Does that mean Hugs98? How on earth do you manage without
at least some of the above?

> GHC pretty well repudiates Haskell 2010.

So does Hugs (in HugsMode): a large proportion of the extra features
in H2010 were suggested by the Hugs teams; and Hugs 2006 was already
far advanced beyond it.

> May Haskell 2020 receive more respect!

I think you'll need to adjust your expectations: I doubt H2020 will
happen. There was a glimmer of activity last month, but this list has
resumed its moribund state. So I think we can put last month down to
dead cat bounce. If H2020 does happen, HugsMode will still be well
ahead of whatever gets added.

AntC