Report merged, steps to follow

Mario Blažević blamario at ciktel.net
Sun Nov 4 15:04:27 UTC 2018

Four weeks having passed since the previous discussion with no
objections, I have now merged the content of the Haskell Report

from https://github.com/haskell/haskell-report

into https://github.com/haskell/rfcs

     To remind everybody again, the point of this move was to enable
adding an actionable change to the report to every RFC. From this point
on, any proposal that passes the full process to becoming accepted can
update the report by the simple act of getting merged.

     In order to test this process, over a year ago I've picked and
submitted the least controversial RFC I could find, namely
https://github.com/haskell/rfcs/pull/17. There has been no objection to
the proposal. In fact there has been no comment whatsoever, but I
suppose that's beside the point. So today I have moved the RFC to the
"Last Call" column (https://github.com/haskell/rfcs/projects/1) as the
first and only proposal to gain that awesome status.

     It's not at all clear what should happen to the RFC between this
point and it getting merged, but I'm determined to test drive the
process with it. This is my plan:

1. I'm going to add update the report with a patch to the report
content, then

2. wait another two weeks for any objection before

3. moving the proposal from the Last Call to the Ready for Report
status, then

4. announce that the proposal is Ready for Report and

5. wait another two weeks for the full approval, then finally

6. merge the RFC.

     The only flaw in my cunning plan above is defining what constitutes
"the full approval". The committee being rather ... disengaged and
scattered, there is little hope of getting 50% of votes from all its
members. The criteria of no raised objection, which I've used so far,
seems much too lax for a full approval. I think the only reasonable fair
criteria of success would be a public and unanimous approval by at least
N committee members. I have no idea what N should be, but I know that if
this test proposal can't garner N approvals, no proposal will ever pass
the hurdle.

     To make it plain, I suggest we take the number of committee members
that comment on the test proposal as the maximum bound of N. I do hope
max(N) > 1.