LAST CALL to comment on the Applicative/Monad Proposal

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 07:38:01 UTC 2018

Hello Mario et al.,

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 4:17 AM Mario Blažević <blamario at ciktel.net> wrote:
> While you're reviewing AMP, please take a bit of time to also comment on
> the related new MonadPlus excise proposal at
> https://github.com/haskell/rfcs/pull/23
>
> The proposal is very short so it should be an easy decision. Thank you.

As I've explained already on the RFC, I refuse (i.e. to make this very
clear: I'm exercising my veto) to accept the AMP change without also
at least a commitment to MFP and MRP. And note that the committee was
created with the explicit request from SPJ that it ought to be a
consensus-based decision process rather than a democratic voting
process -- and there isn't consensus in this matter as far as I'm
concerned.

The discussion started on the right foot with Richard rightly saying

> The redundant functions (like return) are all well and good in an implementation such as GHC, but I think they should be struck from the Report. Let's design it like we should have from the beginning, cleanly. GHC could then include its non-conformance with this new standard as an infelicity. Perhaps GHC can even deprecate return, but I don't have a problem with just living with the infelicity.

That's the ideal we should strive for and what I expected the
discussion to follow-through but unfortunately it got lost along the
way.

Herbert