Local types and instances

M Farkas-Dyck strake888 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 22:28:08 UTC 2018

Idea: Allow local type and instance declarations, i.e. in `let` or `where` clause.

Primary motivation: defining `ordNubBy` and such, i.e. functions which take an effective class dictionary

In Haskell now, we can readily write `ordNubOn :: Ord b => (a -> b) -> [a] -> [a]` in terms of `Set` [0], but not `ordNubBy :: (a -> a -> Ordering) -> [a] -> [a]`, as `Set` requires an `Ord` instance. This is for good reason — incoherence would destroy the guaranties of `Set` — but in the case of `ordNubBy`, the `Set` would never escape, so it's fine. I needed `ordNubBy` in a past job, so we actually copied much of the `Set` code and modified it to take an `(a -> a -> Ordering)` rather than have an `Ord` constraint, which works but is unfortunate. This proposal would allow the following:

```
ordNubBy :: (a -> a -> Ordering) -> [a] -> [a]
ordNubBy f = let newtype T = T { unT :: a }
                  instance Ord T where compare = f
              in fmap unT . ordNub . fmap T
```

Secondary motivation: defining local utility types in general

Note: The primary motivation is a subcase of this, with local instances defined in terms of local arguments.

It is sometimes convenient or necessary to define a utility type which is only used in the scope of a single term. It would be nice to be able to define this in a `let` or `where` clause rather than at top level, for the same reason it is nice to be able to define helper functions there.

Semantics:
My thought is the local type is unique to each use of the term it is defined in, to not cause incoherence. I believe the implementation should be feasible as typeclass constraints are lowered to dictionary arguments anyhow. But i am neither a type theorist nor an expert in GHC so please point out any flaws in my idea.

I'm also thinking the type of the term where the local type is defined is not allowed to contain the local type. I'm not sure what the soundness implications of allowing this (unique) type to escape would be, but it seems like it might lead to confusing error messages when types which seem to have the same name can't be unified, and generally trips my informal mental footgun alarm.

Thoughts?

[0] https://gist.github.com/strake/333dfd697a1ade4fea69e6c36536fc16