Haskell 2020: 'let' to be optional and with wider scope of visibility, like other Haskell functions

Francesco Ariis fa-ml at ariis.it
Sun Apr 16 18:15:28 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 08:21:43PM +0300, Vassil Ognyanov Keremidchiev wrote:
> Okay, sorry for taking your time about those propositions. I'm just
> thinking of ways for improving future Haskell. My feedback is mostly from
> talking with people and trying to teach them in Haskell.

As others, I am not convinced with the proposal (given the amount of
boxes marked "Translation" in the Haskell report, I wish we had a
standard way to handling syntactic rewrites; it could come handy in
yours and many more cases).

But I am interested in newcomers and their introduction to the language:
did they get confused by `let` or just pointed it out as superfluous?