New Proposal: EasyMacros

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Wed May 18 21:09:31 UTC 2016

This strikes me as a more powerful form of RebindableSyntax, blazing new territory. (Existing RebindableSyntax never use Template Haskell.)

I assume you've emailed the Haskell Prime list because you wish this to be considered for inclusion in the next version of the standard. However, an extension this large would need to be vetted by implementation in a compiler (assumedly, GHC) before we can consider inclusion in a standard. If you wish to pursue this, I recommend generating a groundswell of interest from the community and writing a more formal proposal detailing exactly how such macros should be desugared into Template Haskell. You give an example below, and that is helpful, but we would need a more formal description.

This is, certainly, an interesting idea and would allow for yet more flexible extensions to the language, all without changing the compiler.

Thanks,
Richard