Limber separators

David Turner dct25-561bs at mythic-beasts.com
Sat May 7 08:24:00 UTC 2016

On 6 May 2016 20:58, "Cale Gibbard" <cgibbard at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you personally want the ability to insert additional commas at the
> beginning or end of lists, perhaps a better plan is to start with
> asking the GHC developers with where to begin on a patch to the
> parser. Then once everyone is using your extension, some future
> Haskell Report can perhaps document it.

+1

I would use this extension. But I strongly agree that it should start out
as an  extension and prove its worth in that form before becoming part of
the language proper. Having Haskell' choose from the set of all available
extensions is already a daunting task without opening the gates on
unimplemented things too!

I get the impression that many extensions that merely extend the syntax of
the language are widely considered to be acceptable and seem to be on track
for inclusion in H'. If this were implemented soon enough, perhaps it can
make it in this time too; if not then I'm sure it'd be a candidate for a
future report.

I use TupleSections, and would prefer that this extension did not apply to
tuples. I would also prefer to get rid of the separators completely and
just use layout to delimit things, somehow.