Are there GHC extensions we'd like to incorporate wholesale?

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Wed May 4 12:57:48 UTC 2016

There are many points I'd like to make in this discussion, but this one screams out the loudest:

This thread is spiraling a bit out of control. I've seen useful conversations around many different extensions in here, but these conversations are sometimes only tangentially related. I'd personally much rather see us decide on a tool/process first, and then we can have someplace to have The GADT Discussion and another place to have The Overloaded Discussion, etc. Otherwise, we risk losing good points in this thread, and someone will have to comb through all of this to extract these good points.

The discussion about what our goals are w.r.t. extensions -- whether to consider popularity, ease of specification, ease of implementation, making standard extensions, etc -- is, to me, more appropriate for this thread and this point in the process.

So, might I humbly request that we focus our collective creative energies on having a stable process before getting into nitty-gritty details about extensions?

Thanks,
Richard