Are there GHC extensions we'd like to incorporate wholesale?

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Tue May 3 08:50:01 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-03 at 10:36:31 +0200, Augustsson, Lennart wrote:

> I'd say there are extensions we should just adopt wholesale, but they
> are all of a very simple syntactic kind.
>
> E.g., EmptyDataDecls

Btw, I have no idea why EmptyDataDecls keeps getting proposed for
inclusion in the next report: `EmptyDataDecls` is one of the extensions
that went into Haskell2010! :-)

To quote Haskell2010, Ch. 12:

| Those implementations are also encouraged to support the following
| named language features:
|
| - PatternGuards,
| - NoNPlusKPatterns,
| - RelaxedPolyRec,
| - EmptyDataDecls,
| - ForeignFunctionInterface
|
| These are the named language extensions supported by some pre-Haskell
| 2010 implementations, that have been integrated into this report.

There's actually a few more deltas to H98 (like e.g. DoAndIfThenElse), so

 {-# LANGUAGE Haskell2010 #-}

is not equivalent to

 {-# LANGUAGE Haskell98,
              PatternGuards, NoNPlusKPatterns, RelaxedPolyRec,
              EmptyDataDecls, ForeignFunctionInterface #-}

But surprisingly this kind of information seems hard to find in the
H2010 report.